Published on February 19, 2021
Video Friday: Researchers discover a protective effect of omega-3 supplementation against the loss of smell – could it also be helpful for loss of smell due to COVID-19?
It’s Video Friday! Today’s video is another by Dr. Susan Brown of Better Bones, introducing a very interesting topic – that omega-3 fats from fish oils can have a profound effect on the loss of smell, new research shows!
Please take a moment to watch and share the video along with our detailed information below.
Watch the Video
After watching the video, be sure to make note of our added details below.
Omega-3 fats from fish oils can have a profound effect on loss of smell, new research shows!
Here is a quick summary of what this video discusses, along with additional information and details about omega-3s:
- Omega-3s in fish oils have been shown to benefit cardiovascular health, immune health, bone health, are anti-inflammatory, and especially benefit brain health. New research shows they may even help with sense of smell.
- Approximately 8% of the brain’s weight is comprised of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help with key brain functions such as electrochemical transmission and signal reception, protect from oxidative stress, inflammation, and cumulative destruction. EPA and DHA especially are known to play a key role in several aspects of brain health, including mechanisms involved in memory and cognition.
- The amount of omega-3s present in your brain could mean the difference between whether you succumb to injury or ward off the inflammation or attack. An example can be seen in a new study published by Yan et al. on omega-3 supplementation and recovery from loss of smell.
- The randomized controlled trial by Yan et al. involved patients undergoing surgery to remove a tumor at the base of the spine, which often resulted in a loss of or greatly reduced sense of smell. Those who were given omega-3 supplementation (about 1,000 mg EPA+DHA) were found to be much less likely to lose their sense of smell after surgery.
- The results of this study led researchers to question whether omega-3s could also help with the loss of smell associated with COVID-19. A new study, now in progress, is giving fish oils to COVID-19 patients, to provide an answer to this question. Stay tuned for the results!
How do You Know if You Are Getting Enough Omega-3s?
The Omega-3 Index test is considered the biomarker of choice for evaluating an individual’s omega-3 status. You can add an Omega-3 Index test to any of your at-home blood spot tests offered by GrassrootsHealth. After you test and receive your results, we encourage you to use the Omega-3 Calculator to determine an estimated amount of how much more EPA+DHA you will need to reach 8% (or other desired goal). EPA+DHA is found in fish and many omega-3 supplements, but be sure you check how much EPA+DHA is in the specific types of fish you eat and the omega-3 supplements you take to determine how much of each you may need to consume.
Vitamin D is Important as Well
By joining the GrassrootsHealth projects, you are not only contributing valuable information to our study, but you are also gaining knowledge about how you could improve your own health through measuring and tracking your nutrient status, and educating yourself on how to improve it. Do you know what your status of vitamin D, omega-3s, and other essential nutrients is? Could your levels be improved? Test now to find out!
We now have a NEW GIFTING SERVICE that allows you to quickly send ‘Gift Cards’ to friends, family and coworkers who you consider might need immediate access to testing, and to Claim the Joy of Your Health TODAY. Give the gift today!
What does the Research Say about Vitamin D & COVID-19?
It’s TIME to start saving lives! If you can help PREVENT the majority of the death, it’s time! What’s it costing you/us not to take action NOW?
There is much published research that supports a clear link between vitamin D and COVID-19 showing that higher vitamin D levels are related to:
Be sure to educate yourself on the benefits and importance of vitamin D for immune health, and take steps to ensure you and your loved ones are getting enough.
You can review all of the COVID-19 and immune health information we have shared on this page.
How Can You Use this Information for YOUR Health?
Having and maintaining healthy vitamin D and other nutrient levels can help improve your health now and for your future. Measuring is the only way to make sure you are getting enough!
STEP 1 Order your at-home blood spot test kit to measure vitamin D and other nutrients of concern to you, such as omega-3s, magnesium, essential and toxic elements (zinc, copper, selenium, lead, cadmium, mercury); include hsCRP as a marker of inflammation or HbA1c for blood sugar health
STEP 2 Answer the online questionnaire as part of the GrassrootsHealth study
STEP 3 Using our educational materials and tools (such as our dose calculators), assess your results to determine if you are in your desired target range or if actions should be taken to get there
STEP 4 After 3-6 months of implementing your changes, re-test to see if you have achieved your target level(s)