Video Friday: Vitamin D and COVID 19: The Evidence for Prevention and Treatment of Coronavirus (SARS CoV 2)
It’s Video Friday! Today’s video is a bit longer than what we have previously shared, but it is definitely worth watching and sharing with anyone interested in vitamin D! It is an easy-to-follow, excellent review of the evidence supporting the importance of vitamin D for our health, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic.
In this video, Professor Roger Seheult, MD explains the role vitamin D may have in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19. It contains excellent illustrations on how vitamin D works, summarizes the best available data and clinical trials on vitamin D, respiratory diseases, and COVID-19, discusses vitamin D dosage recommendations, and more.
Please take a moment to watch and share the video along with our detailed information below.
Watch the Video
After watching the video, be sure to make note of our added details below!
Vitamin D – A Therapeutic Agent in the Fight Against COVID?
Here is a quick summary of what this video discusses, along with additional information and details about vitamin D:
Starting with Some Vitamin D Basics
- Vitamin D is a hormone AND a vitamin
- Vitamin D has the function of changing the way cells behave (from the genetic level as well)
- Vitamin D receptors exist in all cell types (See our new blog series!)
Why is Vitamin D Deficiency an Issue?
- Each individual can only produce enough vitamin D if getting enough sunlight or getting enough vitamin D from a dietary/supplement form
- A majority of the population lacks sufficient sunlight/UVB exposure
- See an excellent map of the United States showing who can and cannot make vitamin D in winter months (at 8:42)
- Studies have repeatedly shown that less sunlight exposure correlates with an increased incidence of viral infections, such as the flu
- BMI, race, age, and chronic conditions such as kidney disease are a few of several other factors contributing to an increased risk of deficiency
Review of Vitamin D and Respiratory Tract Infections
- Published research
- Roles of vitamin D in the immune system, actions on our immune cells
Vitamin D levels – how to define deficiency, insufficiency, etc. (12:30)
Review of the Evidence of Vitamin D Deficiency (age, race, BMI, disagreement in supplementation amounts by ‘the experts’) (13:20)
Review of Evidence of Vitamin D and Respiratory Diseases Before COVID-19 (16:20)
Review of Vitamin D and COVID-19 Research (22:00)
- Risk factors for COVID are similar to risk factors for vitamin D deficiency
- Observational data shows a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 positivity, outcomes (when looking at vitamin D levels both before and at time of active infection)
- Association vs Cause; a randomized controlled trial by Castillo et al. (41:05)
- Bolus dose results (one dose of 200,000 IU at admission) showed no difference in outcomes – important to take vitamin D daily, weekly at very least (44:45)
- Correlation between COVID-19 Severity, Inflammation, and Vitamin D Levels (47:15)
Conclusion: Must Take Vitamin D Seriously!
- Review of food fortification, dietary intake, supplementation recommendations, etc.
- The risk of vitamin D toxicity – Extremely Rare! (52:10)
The take home message? Vitamin D has been shown to have a significant effect on COVID-19 infection and outcomes, and taking vitamin D seriously (as in taking ACTION) is especially important during the winter when vitamin D levels tend to be lowest. Supplement and test make sure you’re not deficient!
Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D & Other Immune Boosting Nutrients?
By joining the GrassrootsHealth projects, you are not only contributing valuable information to our study, but you are also gaining knowledge about how you could improve your own health through measuring and tracking your nutrient status, and educating yourself on how to improve it. Do you know what your status of vitamin D, omega-3s, and other essential nutrients is? Could your levels be improved? Test now to find out!
We now have a NEW GIFTING SERVICE that allows you to quickly send ‘Gift Cards’ to friends, family and coworkers who you consider might need immediate access to testing, and to Claim the Joy of Your Health TODAY. Give the gift today!
What does the Research Say about Vitamin D & COVID-19?
It’s TIME to start saving lives! If you can help PREVENT the majority of the death, it’s time! What’s it costing you/us not to take action NOW?
There is much published research that supports a clear link between vitamin D and COVID-19 showing that higher vitamin D levels are related to:
Be sure to educate yourself on the benefits and importance of vitamin D for immune health, and take steps to ensure you and your loved ones are getting enough.
You can review all of the COVID-19 and immune health information we have shared on this page.
What Does it Take YOU to Get Your D to 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L)?Did you know your health could be greatly affected by making sure you have a vitamin D level of at least 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L)? Help us help you.
STEP 1 - Do you know what your vitamin D level is? If not, be sure to test today to find out.
STEP 2 – Determine your target level. Are you at your target level? Experts recommend a level of at least 40-60 ng/ml (100-150 nmol/L).
STEP 3 – Need to boost your level? Use the D*calculator to see how much vitamin D it may take to reach your target. Opt for the Loading Dose for a quicker boost.
STEP 4 – Optimize how your body absorbs and utilizes vitamin D with co-nutrients and these simple steps.
STEP 5 – Re-Test! This is an important step to make sure you have reached your target level, and to ensure you are not taking too much! Re-testing after 3-4 months is recommended.
STEP 6 – Adjust, Repeat…
Give your immune system the nutrients it needs to support a healthy you and protect yourself from unnecessary diseases, especially COVID-19.
The first Randomized Controlled Trial on vitamin D and COVID-19 has shown a 96% lower risk of ICU admission for those receiving vitamin D (as 25(OH)D to quickly boost vitamin D blood levels) along with the standard treatment, compared to those receiving standard treatment alone.
These results support many previous observational studies showing a relationship between vitamin D levels and intake and COVID-19 severity.
GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute has launched the new Immune Boost project with the use of our myData-myAnswers nutrient health system that nearly 15,000 people are already using for their health. Specific markers that influence immune health are suggested for testing as part of this project including:
- Vitamin D
- Omega-3 Index
- Essential elements magnesium, selenium, and zinc
Our goal is to demonstrate how one can use the Nutrient Research Model established by Dr. Robert Heaney to show the effect of vitamin D serum levels of at least 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) on risk reduction for all ethnicities in the population. Status and intake of other nutrients will also be analyzed for any type of relationship to immune status and symptom severity. Join the project today!
Please let us know if you're interested in helping sponsor this project.
Through GrassrootsHealth Nutrient Research Institute, you can also test your essential elements magnesium, copper, zinc and selenium, toxins such as lead, mercury and cadmium, as well as your omega-3 levels, inflammation levels and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level. Find out your levels today! Log on to the test selection page (click the link below) to get your tests and see for yourself if your levels can be improved.
Make sure you track your results before and after, about every 6 months!
How can I track my nutrient intake and levels over time?
To help you track your supplement use and nutrient levels, GrassrootsHealth has created the Personal Health Nutrient Decision System called
For each specific supplement, you can track what days you take it, how much, and many other details. This will help you know your true supplemental intake and what patterns of use work for you to reach and maintain optimum nutrient levels. Check it out today!