Video Friday: Vitamin D and COVID 19: The Evidence for Prevention and Treatment of Coronavirus (SARS CoV 2)
It’s Video Friday! Today’s video is a bit longer than what we have previously shared, but it is definitely worth watching and sharing with anyone interested in vitamin D! It is an easy-to-follow, excellent review of the evidence supporting the importance of vitamin D for our health, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic.
In this video, Professor Roger Seheult, MD explains the role vitamin D may have in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19. It contains excellent illustrations on how vitamin D works, summarizes the best available data and clinical trials on vitamin D, respiratory diseases, and COVID-19, discusses vitamin D dosage recommendations, and more.
Please take a moment to watch and share the video along with our detailed information below.
Watch the Video
After watching the video, be sure to make note of our added details below!
Vitamin D – A Therapeutic Agent in the Fight Against COVID?
Here is a quick summary of what this video discusses, along with additional information and details about vitamin D:
Starting with Some Vitamin D Basics
- Vitamin D is a hormone AND a vitamin
- Vitamin D has the function of changing the way cells behave (from the genetic level as well)
- Vitamin D receptors exist in all cell types (See our new blog series!)
Why is Vitamin D Deficiency an Issue?
- Each individual can only produce enough vitamin D if getting enough sunlight or getting enough vitamin D from a dietary/supplement form
- A majority of the population lacks sufficient sunlight/UVB exposure
- See an excellent map of the United States showing who can and cannot make vitamin D in winter months (at 8:42)
- Studies have repeatedly shown that less sunlight exposure correlates with an increased incidence of viral infections, such as the flu
- BMI, race, age, and chronic conditions such as kidney disease are a few of several other factors contributing to an increased risk of deficiency
Review of Vitamin D and Respiratory Tract Infections
- Published research
- Roles of vitamin D in the immune system, actions on our immune cells
Vitamin D levels – how to define deficiency, insufficiency, etc. (12:30)
Review of the Evidence of Vitamin D Deficiency (age, race, BMI, disagreement in supplementation amounts by ‘the experts’) (13:20)
Review of Evidence of Vitamin D and Respiratory Diseases Before COVID-19 (16:20)
Review of Vitamin D and COVID-19 Research (22:00)
- Risk factors for COVID are similar to risk factors for vitamin D deficiency
- Observational data shows a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 positivity, outcomes (when looking at vitamin D levels both before and at time of active infection)
- Association vs Cause; a randomized controlled trial by Castillo et al. (41:05)
- Bolus dose results (one dose of 200,000 IU at admission) showed no difference in outcomes – important to take vitamin D daily, weekly at very least (44:45)
- Correlation between COVID-19 Severity, Inflammation, and Vitamin D Levels (47:15)
Conclusion: Must Take Vitamin D Seriously!
- Review of food fortification, dietary intake, supplementation recommendations, etc.
- The risk of vitamin D toxicity – Extremely Rare! (52:10)
The take home message? Vitamin D has been shown to have a significant effect on COVID-19 infection and outcomes, and taking vitamin D seriously (as in taking ACTION) is especially important during the winter when vitamin D levels tend to be lowest. Supplement and test make sure you’re not deficient!
Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D & Other Immune Boosting Nutrients?
By joining the GrassrootsHealth projects, you are not only contributing valuable information to our study, but you are also gaining knowledge about how you could improve your own health through measuring and tracking your nutrient status, and educating yourself on how to improve it. Do you know what your status of vitamin D, omega-3s, and other essential nutrients is? Could your levels be improved? Test now to find out!
We now have a NEW GIFTING SERVICE that allows you to quickly send ‘Gift Cards’ to friends, family and coworkers who you consider might need immediate access to testing, and to Claim the Joy of Your Health TODAY. Give the gift today!
What does the Research Say about Vitamin D & COVID-19?
It’s TIME to start saving lives! If you can help PREVENT the majority of the death, it’s time! What’s it costing you/us not to take action NOW?
There is much published research that supports a clear link between vitamin D and COVID-19 showing that higher vitamin D levels are related to:
Be sure to educate yourself on the benefits and importance of vitamin D for immune health, and take steps to ensure you and your loved ones are getting enough.
You can review all of the COVID-19 and immune health information we have shared on this page.